In 2017, I challenged people to choose junk food categories that I would use to diet and get to race weight. The idea was that for every 1kg lost, I would move to the next food group. I did burgers, ice cream, pizza, beer and then cake. Beer of course was a total disaster, but in the end I did hit my race weight sooner than anticipated. This year, I’ve modified it a bit based on what I learned last year. In addition to the “calorie test” I’d like to experiment with various popular diets to see how they impact both weight loss and performance.
- Instead of basing each food on losing 1kg, I’m now doing each food for 2 weeks and seeing what the weight loss for each one is
- I’m choosing the best foods of the 2017 project to start with (ice cream, burgers, cake)
- I’m thinking of also including some “healthy” diets to see if that makes a significant difference to the amount of weight lost, or to how I feel (or both)
- My target is 2000 calories per day, based on previous experience on what I need to target for weight loss but still feel good.
- I’m not adding calories back for exercise. If I have a particularly challenging workout, I will fuel that with 300 calories per hour, but I won’t add those calories to my daily total, and I also won’t increase my daily calorie goal with the exercise calories.
- The project starts January 1st and will go up until Ironman Texas which is on 28th April. The month leading up to IMTX I’ll aim to eat whatever I need to for performance, and not be in calorie deficit. I will no doubt gain a bit of weight then, but the purpose of including that is to see how much I gain back.
- On Jan 1st I weighed in at 180.6 lbs (82kg) and to perform well in a race I should be at around 165 lbs (75kg) or lighter (I can probably safely get down to 72 kg without adverse health issues, it’s just really, really difficult for me to get there).
Here’s the provisional schedule
- Jan 1st – Jan 14th: ice cream (done – 9.4 lbs lost)
- Jan 15th – Jan 28th: burgers (includes a Vegas trip to start)
- Jan 29th – Feb11th: vegan with whole food
- Feb 12th – Feb 25th: mediterranean
- Feb 26th – Mar 11th: paleo or cake (I hope cake)
- Mar 12th – Mar 25th:TBD
- Mar 26th – April 28th (Ironman Texas): no calorie restriction, eat to perform!
I started the diet off with a bang! 10k swim on New Years Eve…