I recorded a short video looking at the Ironman Boulder Swim Course. It’s just a quick recording I made to help those who are unable to check out the course beforehand (since there is no pre-swim of this course). Apologies for the windy turbulence in the audio, but this was just a “quick and dirty” recording!
The key points:
- It may or may not be wetsuit legal, come prepared for both
- The visibility is bad, and most people don’t swim straight here. So choose good reference points to sight off, and sight often
- Don’t go out too hard, it’s not fun going into oxygen debt at 5000ft!
- Use a good anti fog. I use Sven Can See, see link below
The links for the retailers and products I mentioned:
- If you want to swim in the reservoir before race day, drop in at the Boulder Aquatics Masters Open Water Swim on Tuesday and Thursday at 6:10am ($15 drop in fee)
- Anti Fog: Sven Can See – I use the Anti Fog Spray (use code ROBGRAY15 to get a 15% discount on your order)
- Colorado Multisport 2480 Canyon Blvd
- To get a wetsuit or swimskin, visit the Roka booth at the expo.
Good luck and swim safe!