The IM Boulder Bike course is fast and not technical. It has some elevation gain but it’s mostly just rolling. The longest hill is Nelson rd but it’s not very steep. I race this course with a 54 tooth chainring and an 11-23 cassette.
Here is my strava route map for the 2016 course. My very short summary of the sections:
- Out of T1, down and up diagonal: take it easy and settle in, be careful and be patient at the turnaround on the bike path (where you transition from southbound diagonal to northbound, just over 2 miles in)
- 52, 287, Lookout is hilly. You’ll be feeling fresh and tempted to ride too hard. Don’t. Unless you’re one of my rivals, then I suggest you go for the strava KOM on all segments in this part of the course.
- Jay Rd is a false flat (slight uphill but you won’t even notice)
- 36 is rolling
- Neva Rd is super fast and a great surface. This is most technical part of the course, even though it’s not technical at all.
- Nelson Rd is the longest climb, but it’s not super steep.
- Back on 36, heading to 66 is fast.
- The rest is flat or rolling
- Be careful going over the railroad tracks just after Hygiene on 75th. Every year hundreds of bottles are ejected here. (and also, make sure your bottles are secure so that they do not become part of this statistic)
- Repeat the above, except for the 52, 287, Lookout section
Here’s a quick video of the “technical” parts of Neva Rd – as you can see, nothing to worry about.